Leaders in Biochemistry for 100+ Years
Follow our journey from the beginnings of Biological Chemistry in 1883 to the hub of innovation that we represent today.
Our graduates stay connected to each other and to the department through friendships and scientific collaborations, a sense of shared community and history, and a common passion for discovery at the frontiers of biological chemistry.
Our Master’s Program welcomed its first students in 2013 and has been preparing trainees for biomedical careers and the pursuit of advanced degrees ever since.
After it became a freestanding department in 1922, Biological Chemistry's first home was on Central Campus in the West Medical Building (now home to U-M's School for Environment and Sustainability). Relocation to the Medical Campus occurred in the late 1950s.